Saturday, October 8, 2016

When the walls come tumbling down

The following two prayers were posted on the revgalblogpals site today.

They spoke deeply to me.

Still Waters



You lead me beside still waters, you restore my soul. -Psalm 23:2
Dear Lord,
May I call you Lord?
I know it seems a little formal, but we need to talk.
My soul is drenched. Beaten by wind and rain, hail, and destruction. I’ve tried boarding it up, but the chaos seems to penetrate it.
I question myself. Did I do it wrong? I thought I followed the instructions. The boards rattled the nails came loose, even those “hurricane clips” seemed not to work. Why? Why is this happening?
I can blame you, but I’m not sure that’s helpful either. I feel helpless, hopeless, I try to stay positive, “at least we’re still standing”, but I look around and the destruction is everywhere.
I tried to prevent permanent damage, but I couldn’t, no matter how hard I tried.
Still waters and restoration seem so far away. I have to admit, I long for it, sooner rather than later.
But the longing is is just that, isn’t it?
Permanence is nonexistent, change and chaos are the constant. Maybe the secret was to never board up to begin with? Never create the walls that were supposed to “protect”? For you ask Job in the midst of the whirlwind to remember that you are God. That I am not.
So I will humble myself to you.
God, still waters would be awesome, but you built the worlds from chaos, wisdom birthed it from her womb. And so I will stand humbly in the midst of my impermanence and destruction and simply ask:
What are you two up to now?


The Reverend Shannon Meacham is the mother of two exhausting children Maggie and Gus, and she currently serves Ashland Presbyterian Church in the safest part of Baltimore, the suburbs. You can find her musings about any and all subjects on her personal blog pulpitshenanigans.com.

https://revgalblogpals.org/2016/10/08/saturday-prayer-still-waters/#comment-109285

And on Friday this was published.... 

Friday Prayer

I cling to you
Though I am blown, battered, and broken
The wind pushing me beyond your way
The clouds obstructing my view of you
The rain downing out your voice
Still
I cling to you
Uncertain of tomorrow
Forget that, uncertain of now
Debris covering the path before me
Littering the options
Cluttering my view
Denting my hope
And cracking my faith
Still
I choose to be guided by you
And
I cling tighter
With torn, shredded nails
On my weathered, weary hands
Which somehow still have strength
Strength
that could only come from my clinging
All these years
Through those other storms
Don’t you remember
So
Despite what I see, smell, and fear
Despite what the world keeps trying force into me
Despite what I have already breathed in and gobbled up
Despite everything else that may be flung at my face
Because I know in my sore, strong hands
and heart
(which refuse to know differently)
I continue
to cling
to you

I cling to you
I cling to you
I cling to you
Still


*****
The Rev. Erin Counihan serves as Pastor of Oak Hill Presbyterian Church (PCUSA) in St. Louis, MO. She’s a contributor to the RevGal’s book and blogs (sometimes) at http://www.somewhatreverend.wordpress.com.

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment